Studying abroad anywhere requires careful financial planning, so it is important to find out if there are scholarships available for Nigerian students in Canada or other forms of financial support available for Nigerian students. This article will provide direction and information on scholarships available for Nigerian students in Canada. The need for scholarships and other financial supports from countries like Canada for the Nigerian students cannot be overemphasized.
There are programs and funding options for Nigerian students interested in studying in Canada, mostly Nigerian students of high academic standing or, in some situations, eligible students from certain areas for whom scholarships or other financial assistance is in place. Below you will find information regarding ways of conducting a search to see if you may be eligible for a scholarship or other funding to study in Canada as a Nigerian student.
CANADIAN GOVERNMENT FUNDING FOR NIGERIAN STUDENTS
The first place to look for information is the Canadian Government scholarship page. This online resource allows Nigerian students to look up available scholarships in Canada based on their country of origin. In this case, a Nigerian students looking for a scholarship in Canada will have to go to the page that contains scholarship information where you have the option to select your country of origin as “Nigeria”, then review the list of scholarships for which you are eligible to apply.
Canadian provinces and territories develop regularly her scholarship programmes for Nigerian students, so it is a good idea that a Nigerian undergraduate or graduate student, who is looking for a scholarship to study in Canada, visit the Ministry of Education Website of the province in Canada where they intend to study. Two popular provincial awards/scholarship for Nigerian students are stated below:
British Columbia (BC)
International (or Nigerian) students intending/studying in the province of BC may be eligible for international student funding or special programs.
Ontario Trillium Scholarships (OTS) Program: The Government of Ontario funds Trillium Awards for international PhD students to study at a university in Ontario. In general, OTS are awarded to new international PhD recipients for a maximum of four years. Each OTS is valued at $40,000 annually and is automatically renewable for an additional three years provided the recipient maintains good academic standing and continues to meet OTS eligibility requirements. This program is described on the individual Ontario university websites.
SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE THROUGH INDIVIDUAL CANADIAN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION
Most Canadian colleges and universities will have some sort of funding assistance available to Nigerian students in the form of entrance scholarships; and some secondary schools will as well. Certain Canadian educational institutions and provincial governments may also have in place a reduced tuition rate for Nigerian students studying in a particular language or in a particular field.
In this case, once the student has decided on an educational institution and program of study, the student will have to search the school’s website for suitable funding opportunities. Usually, international students are considered for entrance awards and scholarships at the time of admission, based on their submitted academic results (transcripts) and other application supporting documents on scholarships available for Nigerian students in Canada.
Consequently, a Nigerian student who is hoping to get an entrance scholarship at a Canadian educational institution, should apply early to their educational institution of choice, to ensure they are considered for entrance scholarships. Also, the ‘Fall’ intake will be the best option for such a person, as most Canadian universities mainly consider ‘Fall’ applicants for entrance awards/scholarship.
HOME COUNTRY SCHOLARSHIPS
Home country scholarships can be very substantial and it is another way for a Nigerian to find out about scholarships available for Nigerian students in Canada. For example:
1. Scholarships Offered by the Student’s Home Country Government. For instance; some Nigerian States (such as Rivers, Delta, etc.) provides scholarship opportunities to indigenous of their respective states to study abroad. Valid information about these opportunities can usually be gotten from the State’s Ministry of Education.
2. Scholarships Offered by Organizations/Companies in the Student’s Home Country. From time to time (usually on an annual basis) reputable organizations and companies in Nigeria come up with Scholarship Scheme for Nigerians to study abroad. These funding opportunities are usually published in National Newspapers and we will usually share these opportunities via our social media platforms.
3. Check with the Canadian Diplomatic Mission in your home country. In this case, Nigerians who are looking for scholarships to study in Canada, will have to check with the Canadian High Commission in Abuja and/or the Canadian Deputy High Commission in Lagos.
There is funding/financial assistance available for Nigerian students of high academic standing at the Canadian graduate level (e.g., master’s, doctoral (PhD), post-doctoral). The value of these scholarship will differ by academic department, as well as institution. The education institution in Canada that is under consideration will have to be contacted.
This assistance may be in the form of:
• Teaching/departmental assistantships;
• Research funds;
• University graduate scholarships;
• External scholarships (i.e., scholarships provided by a third party);
• Bursaries (awards based on financial need that are intended to supplement a student’s other funding sources).
There are also a handful of Government of Canada and external scholarship opportunities available for Nigerian students in Canada applying for graduate programs in Canada. If you have any comment on scholarships available for Nigerian students in Canada, please kindly use the comment box. Thank you,